Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The ache of unrealized possibilities

Two dear friends had their unborn babies die this past weekend.  After grieving the news of one yesterday, I found out about the other one today.  It's hard to understand why these things have to happen, and it's hard to know what to say.  I guess we can be reminded of the miraculous and fragile nature of human life and be sure to cherish the loved ones in our lives.

You may not know them, but you could pray for Jeremy and Abby Cashman in their loss of Harper Lee at 23 weeks, and for Chris and Jeni Smith in their loss of Hazel Irene at 31 weeks.  Jeremy is a longtime friend from back in the day, and Chris was my roommate and close friend in college (I was best man in his wedding).  Pray that they would be driven to deeper faith and find comfort in the questioning.

Harper, you get the coolest name award.

Harper and Irene, we look forward to seeing your perfection in another life.

7 comments:

erin said...

I'm so sorry for your friends.

Kara Jo said...

Thanks for the tribute, Ed, and for the requests for others to pray.

Bren said...

Praying that God gives them more people like you in their lives who will love them and hold them up in prayer!

-V- said...

Words fail. Aching beautiful with you with them, love...

Willow and Sprout said...

I've tried a few times to write something, but always end up erasing my words. That's so hard. I will pray.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I know the last post on here was last year, but Abby Cashman had a stroke yesterday is not going to make it. Please keep Jeremy in your prayers...