Monday, September 22, 2008

Thank You, Current

I rarely turn on the radio, but this morning I ended up on the folk-y morning show of 89.3 The Current. After a little talk, Jim Ed Poole, etc., the first song I hear is . . . Over The Rhine! "Trouble" from their playful and seductive album "Trumpet Child." I believe this marks my first time hearing them on the radio. Looking back over their archives, it looks like the Current morning show has played almost every song from that record this year. Nice going! Just another reason to love the Current. The fact that OTR doesn't have major music market popularity is indicative of severe problems with the music industry. I can't believe in an artistic system that doesn't adore Over The Rhine.

3 comments:

Steve Tanner at Magical Trash said...

"Trouble" is a great song from OTR. Awesome that they were spinning it.

Emunah said...

I would have died if I heard OTR on the radio! The most creative, truly artistic band I know.

Ed, I was just introduced to Jeremy Messersmith. Do you know his music? He just did an album all songs about the Twin Cities, including a cover of Paul Westerberg ("Skyway"). Do you know Messersmith?

Ariel said...

Woohoo! We miss The Current. Sigh.